Maschinenhalle im Kraftwerk am Proviantbach ©Martin Augsburger/Stadt Augsburg

Power plant at the Proviantbach

The power station, which went into operation in 1923, initially belonged to the cotton mill, as did those at the Stadtbach and at the Wolfzahnau. The first power station had already been located here in 1858. The turbine and generator from the early 1920s can still be found in the new building, built in the austere style of the industrial architecture of the time.

Building history and description
  • Hydroelectric power plant, still in operation today
  • On the Proviantbach between Stadtbach and Lech
  • Augsburg, Bleich and Pfärrle, Stadtbachstraße 9
  • Relocation of the Proviantbach and erection of a first power station in 1858• Construction of today's power plant 1921-1923
  • Addition of a second machine set 2011• Power plants on the Stadtbach, Wolfzahnau and Proviantbach originally belonged to the cotton mill on the Stadtbach
  • Solid construction with a flat roof over a rectangular ground plan
  • plastered facades
  • rectangular steel lattice windows (arranged in pairs in groups of three)
Messinstrumente im Kraftwerk am Proviantbach ©Martin Augsburger/Stadt Augsburg
Measurement tools
Kraftwerk am Proviantbach ©Martin Augsburger/Stadt Augsburg
Kraftwerk am Proviantbach ©Martin Augsburger/Stadt Augsburg
Use and purpose
  • Proviantbach flows over 4400m in the east of Augsburg and emerges from Hanrei- and Herrenbach
  • Today's course only set around 1858 to allow new power plant
  • Power plant on the Proviantbach as the fifth and last power plant of the cotton spinning mill on the city stream
  • Housing the control center for the entire power consumption of the system
  • Generator in machine hall in the southern part
  • two-storey hall in the northern part
  • two inlets, only one used today
  • side guided shot channel
  • Fall height about 5.10m, 14 cubic meters of water per second
  • Technical Equipment:
    • One 1922 Francis-Turbine 
    • one Glockenschirm-generator from the Siemens-Schuckert-Werke from 1922
    • one Kaplan turbine with vertical wave
    • one 2011 Kössler generator
  • Power plant as an object of the UNESCO nomination stands for:
    • Further development from small-scale to industrial scale
    • Further development from a simple waterwheel to a highly effective turbine
    • early replacement of mechanical transfers of hydroelectric power in the region by electrification
    • Early replacement of local hydropower and electricity generation by decentralized run-of-river power plants
    • Use of renewable energies benefits the environment,
    • "Augsburg tradition" of sustainability as a global role model
Authenticity and unique features
  • Sold in 2006 by Dierig
  • Modernized in 2011 (use of a Kaplan turbine in a previously unused, empty inlet)
  • Preservation of non-functional historical facilities (such as the rare 1923 bell-can generator)
  • Control center and thus monitoring point of the power consumption of the cotton mill on the Stadtbach, reminds as the last existing building to long-broken "Fabrikschloss"
  • Providing technical development to a well-preserved, exemplary hydroelectric power plant