Power plant at the Wertachkanal ©Martin Augsburger/Stadt Augsburg
19
Power plant at the Wertachkanal

The plant was erected in 1920 at the then new Wertachkanal. The two Francis-twin-turbines produced electric power for the tram system and utilized 26.5 cubic meters of water per second.

Building history and description

  • Hydroelectric power plant on the Wertachkanal, still in operation today
  • Augsburg, Rosenau- und Thelott district; Schießstättenstraße 19
  • Beginning of the channel excavation at Wertach Canal 1920
  • Concession of the water rights for 100 years as well as construction of the power plant and start of operation 1921
  • Installation of monitoring and control by sensors and computer 1979
  • Replacement of a turbine 2007
  • Builder City of Augsburg
  • Two-storey, massive hipped roof construction over an L-shaped floor plan with surrounding tooth-cut frieze on the eaves
  • plastered facade
  • rectangular wooden lattice windows
  • Beavertail roof covering
  • Machine room offset one floor down (thus two-storey)
  • in the west across the machine hall cultivated dwelling house

 

Einlaufkanal am Kraftwerk am Wertachkanal ©Martin Augsburger/Stadt Augsburg
Running-in
Kraftwerk am Wertachkanal ©Martin Augsburger/Stadt Augsburg
Inside the machine room
Kraftwerk am Wertachkanal ©Martin Augsburger/Stadt Augsburg
Inside the machine room
Kraftwerk am Wertachkanal ©Martin Augsburger/Stadt Augsburg
Running-out

Use and purpose

  • Hydroelectric power plant of the city Augsburg should serve the energy supply of the tram
  • Wertachkanal built to contain the risk of flooding, then used for energy
  • Fall height approx. 4.3m, 28.5 cubic meters of water per second
  • Technical Equipment:
    • one Francis twin turbine with horizontal shaft
    • one Francis S turbine with horizontal wave
    • two Generators from 1921
  • bears witness to the importance of the former mill river at Göggingen for industrialization
  • Turbine houses converted later into electricity generating hydropower plants
  • Power plant as an object of the UNESCO nomination stands for:
    • Further development from small-scale to industrial scale
    • Further development from a simple waterwheel to a highly effective turbine
    • early replacement of mechanical transfers of hydroelectric power in the region by electrification
    • Early replacement of local hydropower and electricity generation by decentralized run-of-river power plants
    • Use of renewable energies benefits the environment,
    • "Augsburg tradition" of sustainability as a global role model

Authenticity and unique features

  • Most of the power plant construction and technical equipment have been preserved (for example, visible areas of the two 1921 engine sets inside the power plant, but only one Francis twin turbine)
  • 2007 renewal of a turbine (due to large fluctuations in flow rates)
  • Recent structural changes in the area of ​​the upper water
  • Both generators of the Siemens Schuckert plants, built in 1920, are still used to generate electricity
  • Energy generation is fed into the public grid today
  • Power plant should provide urban trams
  • Providing technical development to a well-preserved, exemplary hydroelectric power plant

Information and location

General Information:

The power plant is in private property.

Opening hours:

Not publicly open

Contact:

City of Augsburg
World Heritage Office
Rathausplatz 1
86150 Augsburg

+49(0)821 324-2115
welterbe@augsburg.de

Guided Tours:

No guided tours

Directions:

With public transportation:  Tram line 3, in the direction of Stadtbergen, as well as the bus, line 32 towards Klinikum BKH, stop at the Luitpoldbrücke (Luitpold bridge). From there it is a 5 minute walk to the south, on either side of the Wertach, to reach the power plant.

With a car: There are parking places available at this location.  From the city center, take Hermannstraße going south.  After the Göggingerbrücke (Gögginger bridge), turn right at the light onto Rosenaustraße.  At the first possibility turn left onto Schießstättenstraße and continue straight ahead until reaching the power plant.

 

Location:

The power plant on the Wertachkanal is located between the districts of Pfersee, Rosenau ,Thelottviertel, and Antonsviertel behind the Wittelsbacher Park.

Map: