Power plant at the Singold ©Martin Augsburger/Stadt Augsburg
14
Power plant at the Singold

The plant was put into use in 1887 with a direct cogwheel drive transmission of the textile mill, comparable to that of the Fabrikkanal plant nearby. Parts of the drive transmission have survived, but gears were later implemented to generate electricity.

Building history and description

  • Hydroelectric power plant, still in operation, at Singold on the grounds of Amann & Söhne GmbH & Co. KG Augsburg, Göggingen, Apprichstraße
  • Construction of the power plant 1886-1887
  • Destruction of the neighboring factory by fire in 1908
  • Rehabilitation of the Francis turbine and installation of a new generator 2006
  • direct spatial and temporal proximity to the power plant on Fabrikkanal (also power station of the ZNFG)
  • Engineers Widmann and Telopac
  • single-storey solid construction with pitched roof over rectangular ground plan
  • roof lantern (not preserved today)
  • plastered facade
  • Round arched window with decorated cast iron sprouts
  • Etched ornamental glazing in the windows
Kraftwerk an der Singold ©Martin Augsburger/Stadt Augsburg
Kraftwerk an der Singold ©Martin Augsburger/Stadt Augsburg
Kraftwerk an der Singold ©Martin Augsburger/Stadt Augsburg

Use and purpose

  • Hydroelectric power station of the twisting and sewing thread factory Göggingen (ZNFG)
  • from 1957 merger with Zwirnerei Ackermann
  • 1994 Acquisition by Ackermann & Söhne, yarn production at the site until today
  • Power transmission via transmission drive and gears on the looms
  • Technical Equipment:
    • One Francis-Turbine with vertical wave
    • Gear-driven transmission drive
    • a generator of the Schorch family
  • bears witness to the importance of the former mill river at Göggingen for industrialization
  • Turbine houses converted later into electricity generating hydropower plants
  • Power plant as an object of the UNESCO world heritage stands for:
    • Further development from small-scale to industrial scale
    • Further development from a simple waterwheel to a highly effective turbine
    • early replacement of mechanical transfers of hydroelectric power in the region by electrification
    • Early replacement of local hydropower and electricity generation by decentralized run-of-river power plants
    • Use of renewable energies benefits the environment,
    • "Augsburg tradition" of sustainability as a global role model

Authenticity and unique features

  • Decommissioning of the power plant from the 1970s until 2006
  • preserved historic turbine
  • no longer receive the original generator
  • Energy generation is fed into the public grid today
  • Power station as an industrial archeological monument of the suburban area
  • After the merger of ZNFG with the twisting mill Ackermann in 1957, it became part of the largest sewing thread manufacturer in Europe
  • Providing technical development to a well-preserved, exemplary hydroelectric power plant

Information and location

General Information:

The power plant is in private property.

Opening hours:

Not publicly open

Contact:

City of Augsburg
World Heritage Office
Rathausplatz 1
86150 Augsburg

+49(0)821 324-2115
welterbe@augsburg.de

Guided Tours:

No guided tours

Directions:

With public transportation: From the tram stop at "Göggingen Rathaus" (Göggingen town hall) (tram line 1 towards "Göggingen" or Bus lines 38,70,72,76,640 and 700) continue on foot to the west via Fabrikstraße. At this location there is almost no parking available. Therefore we recommend walking, biking or using public transport.

Location:

The power plant on the Singold is located in Göggingen.

Map: